Saturday, May 10, 2008

Fitting that I am writing this post while procrastinating...

I have to write a book report. It was due in May 2007. That incomplete is going to turn into an F. Yet, I can't bring myself to write it. The name of the book is called "They're not dumb, they're different." I would like to say it is a book about special ed or something, but the "they" that is being referred to is actually...

wait for it...

non-scientists.

For real. It's a book about how scientists tend to teach science in a way that seems logical to them, but we alienate wide swaths of the population who think differently than us, but are still capable of doing science (and apparently we need more scientists, so this alienation is a bad thing). I mean, how many digits of pi do we really need to know?Anyway, all that is beside the point (except to note that it appears we will run again under Dr. Peter Venkman's quote "Back off man, I'm a scientist.")

I mostly just wanted to welcome Meg to our little team here. Her blog is named Project Procrastination, which means she'll totally fit right in. She also has a Dr. in front of her name, one less kidney than the rest of us, and the title of Ironman.

We are still down three people though! I have people on the burners but they haven't been able to confirm that they can get work off yet, so I am still looking for whoever is up for a weekend of running! Anyone? Anyone? We'll only make you memorize pi out to the first five digits. I swear!

In world travel news, I may have to cancel my trip to Norway to make a last minute trip to Uganda. I would much rather be running a half-marathon in the midnight sun than melting in the equator sun (been there, done that), but there is a SNAFU with a project we are working on there and somehow I ended up being the person who is in charge of trying to fix it.

Just to make myself feel better:Okay, now I am going to write a compelling book report about all the "special" people.

6 comments:

Jenny Davidson said...

Enjoy...

Joe said...

yay meg! welcome!

also, for the record, on that first comic, i fit squarely in the "dick" category. at a particularly boring job a couple years ago, i memorized the first hundred digits of pi one week because i had nothing better to do. last i checked, i could still rattle off the first 40-50 or so.

peter said...

What is pi? Is that your sorority?

Anonymous said...

good book title!!

on a tangentially related note, my parents were chem majors and were totally peeved everyone else got to take easy science to fulfill their requirement but it's not like my parents got to take english for dummies.

ButterPeanut said...

that would suck about Norway, but "I have to go to Uganda" is a pretty freaken good excuse.

also, I have pi tattooed on my and I can't even remember what comes after the "14".

Megan said...

Thank you!!!!! SO happy to be part of it all!! I have been getting really excited for the race and can't wait to meet everyone!