Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Running's not fun anymore

At this point, marathon training has basically sucked all the pleasure out of running for me. While I used to run 4 or 5 days a week because I really enjoyed it, now the 3 runs (and one or two bike rides) I do feel like homework. I run because I have to, not because I want to. There are constant nagging injuries to worry about, the fear that missing some runs will mean i won't be where I need to be in 4 weeks, etc etc etc. Running used to be my outlet, so when life got stressful, I could run and I'd feel better. Now it mostly just compounds my feeling of crappiness.

I just want this marathon to be over so I can get back to enjoying running again.

4 comments:

M said...

Yup, this is right about how you are supposed to feel at this point. Running starts to feel like a job. But truth be told, you are probably ready at this point. Try to thow in some more cross training to give yourself a break and maintain your fitness, but you've done your miles.

Looks like I might see you at the start line....

Anonymous said...

I was just about to write what M wrote above...that feeling just means you're doing it right... :)

Joe said...

ok. if you all say so, i'll believe you. :)

Steve Stenzel said...

Boo. That sucks. Good luck turning it around...