Saturday, June 16, 2007

I still hate 10ks

On a whim this morning, I decided to do a 10k in town. A week ago I had planned to run it, but after the GAAR my legs were pretty trashed. And I had run 15 miles already this week, which is the most I have run in a week since October.

And a 10k would put me over the 20 mile marker.

And I haven't run more than 5.5 miles since October.

And there is a big hill that you have to hit twice since it is a double loop.

And have I ever mentioned that 10k is my least favorite distance ever? I honestly would pick a 20k over a 10k any day of the week.

But my workout plans for Friday night mysteriously dissolved.

And I was up at 6:15 anyways (I just can't help myself!).

So I decided I should just go and do it. Maybe overcome this fear of 10ks.

It totally sucked.

It was already 75 degrees and 70% humidity when the race started at 7:30. My strategy was to not overdo it in the first half so that I wouldn't be miserable in the second half. At Beat the Streets a couple of weeks ago, I managed to keep just under a 10 min/mile pace for 5 miles, after riding my bike ten miles to the start of the race. So I was hoping I might be able do the same for 1.2 miles more.

Uh, no. I hit the first 5k at 31:30, which was acceptable for a first half (if I was hoping to stay under 10) because I intentionally held back a bit so I could push more later.

Yeah, that didn't happen. I pretty much had nothing in me after mile 4. I sort of slogged through the last two miles. Laurie blew by me in rockstar style as we were running down the big hill. I knew I was in trouble when I couldn't run any faster downhill and if I am good at anything, it is running downhill.

My second half? 35:30.

So, I still hate 10ks. This is only my second 10k in 5 years of racing (and many more of running).

On the plus side, I have upped my "long run" distance back up to 6 miles.

On the hilarious side, our teammate Teresa (who flashed me when she ran by me on the second loop) ran into the chute and knocked over the lady who was collecting the bottom part of the bibs, scattering them everywhere. So they had to try and recreate the order. Fortunately there will only about 50 people in the race and she was in middle more or less so there were only about 25 out of order. Unfortunately, the ones out of order were the people in contention for medals. I think they managed to figure it out.

Fortunately, I am sufficiently stubborn that if I am around for Midnight Madness in July, I will probably try to do the 10k then. I have never been in town for this race, but it is supposedly very hot. But there's beer afterwards, so how bad can it be?

1 comment:

Laurie said...

You did a great job! Without even trying, you made my race so much better. :)

I need a new 5K PR so I will be doing the 5K at Midnight Madness. It is hot and at night, do the 5 K!