Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Greetings from the sidelines

While not able to run in any of the relays this summer due to injury and my stupid job, I am finally able to run distances greater than 2.5 miles without my knee hurting, so I guess when I say sidelines, I mean of the summer's races, not of running.

Work this summer is ridiculously stressful, as we're working on a proposal that is basically causing me to work 10-12 hours a day, nights, weekends, crap like that. I have found that the only thing that can clean the badness of work off of me is to simply run myself into the ground. I have taken up running until I hurt -- side stitch I can't get rid of, headache, dying of thirst, whatever. My only concern is if my knee starts to hurt, at which point I'd stop immediately, but luckily that hasn't happened yet.

I was talking about it with a girl that I have been dating for the last month, and she can't seem to wrap her head around why I need to "cleanse" myself with this pain. She's a runner, but hates to feel discomfort while out there. I am wondering if she thinks I'm using running in some impure way, but frankly, I have never gotten as much from running as I have in the last couple of weeks.

*shrug*

3 comments:

Danielle in Iowa said...

Stupid jobs and stupid knees that keep you from running with us! Boo!

Sempre Libera said...

Running is the best stress-reliever I can think of. If she's smart, she'll come around eventually :-)

peter said...

Running gets you through stuff that otherwise might kill you. (Tip of the runner's mesh hat to Nietzsche).