Sunday, December 10, 2006

Al is full of LIES!

You know how I always tell people I'm totally non-competitive, I don't even wear a watch when I run, I don't race often, just like to run fast?

It's a total crock. I will race you anywhere, anytime. There just probably won't be a clock there.

Today I went out for a nice bike ride up to Shoreline and the Palo Alto Baylands. About 20 miles into the 36-ish-mile ride this dude passed me. Now he was going a bit faster than I wanted to go, but I wasn't about to just let him go. So for the next few-ish (maybe 4?) miles I put the chase on and kept within about 30 yards of him. But he was a much stronger cyclist than I am. I died and he pulled away. But I died really, really badly, to the extent that I had to stop three or four times in the last 10 miles of the ride because I was getting dizzy from fatigue and was straying out of the bike lane.

Moral of the story, don't go out for rides like that before breakfast without carrying food! Moral of the story number 2: don't break your pace just because some dude passed you! Well... I can do that running, because I know my abilities well, but definitely not on the bike.

2 comments:

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

I always knew you were full of it! :-)

ButterPeanut said...

man, I wish I had a nice sunny shoreline along which to take a bike ride!

envious coveting commencing now.