Sunday, April 15, 2007

PR!

PR in Krispy Kreme eating, that is!

'Tis that time of year when the ISU Triathlon Club puts on their annual Donut Run.

I have done this race every year I have lived in Ames. My first year I came to the realization that it takes me 30 seconds to eat a Krispy Kreme, so the three donuts I ate that year were useless (I think I came in at 31 minutes, which gives a 29:30 adjusted donut time)

So last year, despite having tequila still running through my blood stream, I persevered and decided to do four and came in at 30 minutes, giving a 27:30 adjusted donut time (still my 5k PR :-))

This year, since I am not marathon training and 3-4 miles are now my long runs, I wasn't expecting to PR on the running portion of the race. That only left the donut consumption portion of the race. So I made it my mission to eat five. I got to the race starving, so I figured, no problem!

I ate five. My total time was 32 minutes, my adjusted time 28:30, which sadly isn't even faster than my 5k PR from last year. Oh well. If I ran it without donuts, I am sure I could have come in sub-30, so I am thinking I might do this 5k next weekend, just to see what I can do these days. I think it will be good to get into race mentality since the triathlon is only 3 weeks off!

I still feel sick to my stomach. I don't know how some of these people eat over 20 donuts. The ones who won typically ate ten and still came in at a 20 minute 5k (so their adjusted time is like 13 minutes). Usually some spoilsport who doesn't eat any donuts wins the whole thing though. This year, the guy in the lead, who decided to dig through his ironic t-shirt collection to find one that said "You are what you eat," didn't even place. There were some fast donut eaters!

On the plus side, apparently Krispy Kremes are some of the least caloric donuts out there, so at 5, I only packed away about 1000 calories. My HRM said I burned 327, so really, it's just like I had a big brunch! And since I don't think I will be able to eat anything for a while yet, it's all good :-)

5 comments:

Laurie said...

I love that the time winner wore such a shirt. That is hilarious.

Nice job on the donut PR! It definitely counts for something. :)

Anonymous said...

I was not aware of this race. And now I totally want to run it. Mark me down for a visit next year!

Audrey said...

GROSS! I mean, cool?

Hey, as long as you had fun! And the donunts are no worse really that a night of drinking.

Al Dimond said...

As a person that struggles to digest even water and Gu while out running, I'm pretty impressed that you can pack in five donuts. I'm not sure I could do that.

I guess before I run a marathon I'll have to learn how to eat while running. Maybe a race like this would be a useful training tool...

Tammy said...

Oh, I am starving and those look reeeeeaaaaallly good. you are evil.