Saturday, January 24, 2009

5 isn't anywhere close to 13

Well, unless of course you are an order of magnitude kinda girl (which we fluid mechanicists typically are), in which case both are equal to 10^1.

So for like the billionth week in a row, my long run was only five miles. I have been trying not to up my distance too fast, but at some point I need to up just a little probably...

Otherwise that is going to be 13 miles of pain on March 21st...

I was going to run outside this morning but after a lovely foray into the 30s, the temps were in the negatives again so I roughed it out on the treadmill. My friend Mary happened to be on the treadmill next to me, so we made sure neither of us wussed out.

The worst part of my run? Well, I started it watching Scrubs (I heart Zach Braff - seriously I am so predictable with my crushes on nice Jewish boys - I blame it on being from Newton, home of the Fig Newton, Heartbreak Hill, and classmates who mostly went to Hebrew school instead of CCD like me).

Anyway all was fine and dandy.

Then Scrubs ended.

And "I'm gonna git you sucka" came on.

I don't like to change the TV station while running.

So I was forced to watch 20 minutes of the Wayan Brothers.

As if running on the treadmill wasn't torture enough...

10 comments:

ButterPeanut said...

I like that order of magnitude argument; I'm gonna use that from now on.

Laurie said...

Alan owns that movie if you ever want to watch the rest of it!

My jaw dropped when he pulled it out of the DVD collection!

KimsRunning said...

I can't run on a treadmill. I get shin splints within 3 minutes!

Even if I do the elliptical I find myself looking out the door, longingly. So I don't bother...I just run outside or not at all!

Unknown said...

DVDs as PPDs (pain prevention devices).

peter said...

13 is an unlucky #. Um, a HM is actually 13.1. Better get going. Come to DC and run with our HM training group. We're up to a solid 10 miles a run now (7 weeks to go). Attrition has been terrific, of course.

Kate said...

Ummm. I think changing the channel would have been worth it. I'm just saying.

Joe said...

So you wussed out because of the movie? That's kind of a lame excuse, but also another reason I never run on a treadmill...

And Peter, I disagree, 13 is totally my lucky number. It's a great number.

Tammy said...

I think you get extra mileage for running while watching that movie. Of course, since running on a treadmill is less work than running on the road, that MIGHT put you at the mileage you think you actually ran. Oh, I bet you're glad I'm back to reading blogs aren't you? hehe.

Kori said...

Ok - I have a new plan. For every mile less than 10 that you run, you must lift your arm and push the button that changes the tv, thus providing extra calorie burn. You were running 5 miles for instance, so you would get 5 button pushes to get lucky and find a better channel. ha :)

jeanne said...

what kori said. and peter! and i'm saying: GO OUTSIDE! 30 degrees...sheesh!