Saturday, January 10, 2009

T-10 weeks...

...until the National Half-Marathon.

So I'm not gonna lie. I'd like to finally break 2:10 at this distance. My PR is 2:13 something. Since I have incapacitated my opposition through a conveniently placed pin to the knee on my voodoo doll, I don't have to worry about my pride.

It's ten weeks off and my "long" runs are at 5 miles. Not exactly major miles. But I have only not run two days this year so far, so I think I am building a solid base. Whether or not I can get the miles up is a totally different story.

Plus one can never underestimate the bonus of running in sissy land (DC) compared to badass land (that would be Iowa where we run in ice and snow and 10 degree weather all winter). DC in March has about 10 degrees on Iowa in March and clothes reduction always helps one's times. (Glaven, don't even go there - the chafing alone is painful to think about.)

In other news, I learned that the boat may actually have exercise machines on it.

Unless this is elaborate plan by my current advisor to humiliate me in front of my future advisor by having me show up on the boat and ask "So where are the treadmills?" I think all might not be lost in April.

Of course, my current advisor told me "Whatever you do, don't let anyone know it is your first cruise or else you are going to get hazed."

Now I have heard of being hazed when you cross the equator for the first time, or going down to the bottom of the ocean in Alvin, but no one told me I might be hazed just because! We're just going to Monterey Canyon! Nowhere near the equator! In fact I think we are going to be so close to the California coast that I'll be able smell the smoke from whatever forest fire is raging at the moment!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I say, "Yes!" you can get the mileage up!

(And slightly undertrained is better than overtrained. At least that is the story I am sticking to!)

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

What? I'm staunchly anti-chafing and pro-clothes reduction, sister! My position on that is clear and unwavering. Well ... female clothes reduction. Male clothes reduction is okay only if you are engaging in a vaguely homoerotic equator passing ceremony in which men dress up as women. That's fine because it is also a prime example of why we can't have homosexuals in the military; because they'd take something aggressively manly, such as dressing up like a woman, and somehow turn it into something gay and shameful. Don't ask me how they'd do it, but they'd find a way.

Joe said...

you and your damned voodoo doll! just wait, yours is coming. vengeance will be mine. eventually. after surgery and months of painful physical therapy. oh yes, vengeance will be mine! muhahaha!

nwgdc said...

Every time I run here, I think to myself...this is making me stronger. This will help at some point. Plus, the post-race beer to warm up seems tastier through the beard-cicles I'm developed.

KimsRunning said...

Hey!! I know Alvin personally!! I used to live in Falmouth Mass. Woods Hole was the next town over. I went into labor with my daughter Emily last time I saw Alvin....lol.

Have a blast on the cruise!!!

Anonymous said...

You can do it. And, I love that you have a voodoo doll

ButterPeanut said...

wow, that image makes your cruise look pretty badass!

Rainmaker said...

You had to didn't you? You had to taunt the DC weather gods by saying it's 'sissyland' Here I wanted a nice 'clean' raceday like it was going to be - and now you've asked for either a blizzard or 90* temps...in March. Fear not, it will deliver on that crapiness.

Well, at least Jeanne and I know who to blame now.

Joe said...

nicole: thanks a lot for taking pleasure in the voodoo doll. maybe i'll get her to make one of you next and see how you like it!

Unknown said...

dc is sissyland in the winter, that's for sure, but certainly not in the summer! (although as the windchills pick up here, i'm kind of longing to go back to sissyland, lack of snow and all...)

sherri said...

you'll get the milage....10 weeks is a lot of time (thats what i keep telling myself since i'm not doing well with my training at all)

also - your map is awesome!

jeanne said...

rainmaker...ya took the words right outta my mouth.

and thanks for reminding me it's 10 weeks out! i'm sure a base of 10 miles a WEEK will be fine, right? sigh.

good luck with the boat thing!