Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Am I enjoying myself?

Swimming doesn't totally suck. I feel like I'm starting to feel a little comfortable. I'm not good or fast or anything, but I don't quite feel awkward and I am starting to enjoy my time in the pool. Whether that's because I like swimming or because I just can't do anything else, that's not for me to guess at. I am curious, though, what will happen once I have to swim without the pull buoy, since I am using it exclusively right now as I can't use my leg. I may like it less once I don't have a float keeping half of me from sinking like a rock.

Based on the last month, I have set a couple of new goals. I would like to do a triathlon in 2009 (nothing in mind yet, as scheduling is pretty fluid right now until I have a better idea of recovery times), and, assuming I don't just absolutely hate it, I would like to do this in 2010.

15 days until surgery...

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Joe, we'll bring you over to the pool side yet! ;-)

By happenstance, I did a post just the other day on part of your sinking concer.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

What kind of butthead answers a rhetorical question?

Let me answer that rhetorical question by saying: "This kind: Me."

Now, having established my rhetorical-question-answering-bona-fides, I wil answer your titular rhetorical question and say: Yes, it seems you ARE enjoying yourself if you are planning to do triathlons because if you aren't enjoying yourself then you must be a bit of a masochist.

Your choice.

Charisa said...

Careful - you might end up liking triathlon and get hooked :) It's fun! Hope your surgery goes well and keep enjoying the swimming!

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

surgery? yeesh. I'm so far behind...

swimming is one of those necessary evils, but it's all work and very slow payoff. Soon you'll be a fish, and then you'll kick my ass. Go you!

lauren said...

you'd like to swim in the potomac river? you better get one of those jacques cousteau style pressurized scuba suits to protect yourself from the grossness in the water. ew.

Duane said...

Good luck on your surgery!

sherri said...

i thought the goal of the national tri was cool until i read lauren's comment. swimming in the potomac? gross! i am not going to take care of you after that race if you catch some sort of gross disease.

Steve Stenzel said...

Don't worry about the speed yet - just keep getting more and more comfortable. THEN the speed comes...

Joe said...

wendy: that was a helpful post, thanks.

lauren: required equipment for the swim leg of the nation's tri: cap and goggles. i'll be fine!

sherri: the love one can only get from a younger sibling. thanks!

lauren said...

body herp. that's all i'm going to say. (and that there's got to be another tri around the same time that's in a lovely lake in virgina or maryland...)

Anonymous said...

Triathlon is a great goal for 09. Good luck with the surgery!

KimsRunning said...

Swimming does too suck! Once I conquered the dive last month, I haven't gotten back in the pool....LOL. Oh, and I work at the gym and I'm friends with the aquatics director. Breathing and water do not mix, although mouth to mouth rescusitation sounds kinda fun. Whateva....gimme the road anyday!

Good luck with the surgery. I'll update the luck again, I'm sure.