Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Will I get groupies too?

So at the expo before the marathon, they had a raffle for free entry into one of the "musical marathons." And sitting on the table was this big honkin' medal. It seriously weighs five pounds or something. And I thought "I want to be a rock star!" And surprisingly, this is not actually some massive running feat. The only marathon you have to do is the San Diego marathon in June. Then you have to do the four other musical half-marathons: January in Phoenix, the Country Music Half in Nashville in April, Virginia Beach in September, and San Jose in October. Besides getting a huge ass medal, you get to enjoy weekends in different cities (and Phoenix is the only one I have ever been to - in June, so I hated it, but I am willing to give it another chance). I think Kori might be game for this. Just so you all know, Kori sadly had to drop out. Her legacy will most likely be our team name, because, as of now, "Atomic Corn Parade" is winning.

Welcome to Melissa, who just joined our team and blog as well! As of now, I have nine pretty firm commitments (I either have their money or it's on the way). I am going to start pumping up my recruiting skills again to see if I can't get some of the maybes to commit. Like I said, we can run short if we need to, but I just did out the legs and if we have 9 or 10 people, someone has to run a marathon essentially. Even with 11, one person has to run 24 miles. We can also relinquish the Flatlander status (as I know non-Flatlanders who will run), but I would prefer not to do that. Well, still over 6 weeks before the relay...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i want that medal, too.

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

You know what ya gotta do :-) It'll be a blast!

Jessica DeLine said...

Cool medal! I'll let you know if you have a firm commitment from me after this weekend :) The race starts on a Friday morning right? So I'd probably have to get to CO by at least Wed? What's the deadline for submitting photo IDs and proof of flatlander status?

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

The deadline isn't until the day of the race... As for when to show up, that would largely be up to you - I talked to a Flatlander captain from last year and they all arrived the day before and were fine (besides obviously sucking more wind than normal). Obviously more time out there ahead of time is better, but there are already several team members who can't go out until the day before or so... Good luck on Saturday! If you still feel like doing this after your 50k(!), then I got a leg with a ten mile downhill just screaming your name :-)

Anonymous said...

If you do decide to do the multi-half thing, you've got a native guide in VA Beach.

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

Awesome! Make sure you around Labor Day weekend 2007 then :-)