Monday, June 12, 2006

Yet another new shoes story

Seeing as everyone else has a new shoes story I thought it can't do any harm to post another one. So here it is! Throughout my "career" as a competitive runner, which is pushing 9 years now, I've always bought cushioning shoes because they are what I was told to buy all those years ago. However, this time I go into the shop to be told that I'm wearing the wrong shoes and a selection of support shoes were brought out despite my protests... I've since shown my old shoes to the guy in the shop to see if he could point out any wear that would indicate that the shoes weren't any good for me - which he couldn't, but I suppose it's never too late to change. I ended up buying a pair of Brooks, which I wasn't too keen on as their shoes always used to be way to heavy and inflexible for my running style, but these are surprisingly light - and despite intensely disliking them on the first 3 or 4 runs I am starting to get used to them to the point that I actually enjoyed running 15km in them yesterday morning.

In other news, my Canadian race debut will be on sunday in a 10km (which will be quickly followed by a 5 mile race next wednesday and another 10km on July1st). This is going to be my first race since May 16th last year when, completely out of form and unprepared, I ran my worst ever time for a 10km. This time I am very well prepared although I am more interested in seeing exactly where I am with my running and in setting a benchmark (I'm aiming for 7 minute miles but will see what happens). Watch this space...

3 comments:

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

Now you and Lisa can be the power duo from Canadia sporting the Brooks running shoes - maybe they'll sponsor us :-)

I have been given so many pairs of cushiony shoes that I have never questioned if I should be on more supportive shoes or not...

Good luck with your race on Saturday!

Mark said...

I still think I will prefer my trusty old Nike Air Pegasus for the WWR but I'll bring the Brooks as a backup - just in case.

I've just had a thought, maybe one of these word verification things will provide us with a team name - I have to type qdrfazbj this time but who knows what it might throw up (so to speak) in the future.

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

The other day it gave me one that my officemate said "That would make a good rapper name." I can't remember what it was though...

So someone who actually likes Nikes? :-)