Wednesday, May 24, 2006

It's gettin' hot in here...

Hey sun! What you smilin' at? You are mean. And hot. And I wish you would go away.

On Monday, someone back in Ithaca e-mailed me and was complaining that it was only 37 degrees. Hey universe! Would you mind sending some of that cold weather here? See, 86 degrees and humid just isn't cutting it for me. I would say that I would rather be running there any day, but I don't think there is an unhilly region for a ten mile radius around Ithaca.

Anyways, last night at 5:30, when it was still in the 80s, we ran 10 miles (10:09 min/mi). Someone unexpectedly replanned the route and made it two five mile loops which included two big hills on each loop. Really didn't need that on the first hot running day of the season, especially on a ten mile night (and I might add that he only did one of the loops!). As you can tell, there was a lot of whining last night, at least by me.

Okay,</whining>.

Kori and I cheated and didn't do the second hill on the loop (it was one of those down and up streets and we just picked a street that went neither up nor down). And I don't feel a bit guilty, especially because our new route happened to go by some sprinklers on campus, which we joyfully frolicked through.

I realized that I like running with a hat. Keeps the sun out of my eyes, absorbs the sweat. Good times.

After all of this, I went and bought a new-to-me Red Schwinn road bike for $60. And actually, it was sort of less than that because afterwards, Jeri bought me a beer. Yay for the Friends of Central Iowa Biking!



7 comments:

ButterPeanut said...

I love that there is such a thing as "friends of central iowa biking" society. Do they have tshirts? if so, can I have one?

Joe said...

i'm scared that there's such a thing as friends of central iowa biking. iowa is really that lame, huh? people don't think it's lame enough to just say, "i'm from iowa," they say "i'm a biker from iowa." they should add "phear me!" to the end of that. :)

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

Hey! Only I am allowed to make fun of Iowa! It's like your family - you're allowed to bitch and moan as much as you want about your own, but don't even think about insulting someone else's. I might be here for three more years, so I gave up on the whole "bash Iowa" thing like a year ago. Don't get me wrong - I'll make fun of Iowa and don't get me started on the theoretical Midwestern friendliness, but really Iowa is only lame if you let it be.

Joe said...

i promise to let iowa be as lame as it wants to be.

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

Way to defend Iowa, Kori! ;-)

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

Hehe, Kori, you can consider Iowa well defended now :-) But I think there are just as many fake blondes here as there are in CA ;-)

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

Hehe, I need to get my hair highlighted too :-) But the difference is that we don't dye our hair blonde, just accent it :-) And unlike me, you are actually blonde :-)